What About Passwords?
Online services like email, social networks and banking make it especially important to secure your accounts. Luckily, many of these sensitive online services give you the authentication tools to protect yourself and your information online.
Email providers and financial services to social networks and blogging platforms are implementing new security features that can help their users add another layer of security to their accounts. These technologies are often referred to as two-step authentication, login approvals, multi-factor authentication, etc. because they add a new layer of protection by adding a second element – in addition to a password – to protect your account.
These methods provide an extra layer of security. Most people only have one layer to protect their account. But combining something you know (your password) with something you have (your phone, a token, fob, etc.) makes your account even more secure by requiring the second element to log in. Simply put, two-step authentication makes sure it’s really logging in, not just someone who has your password.
Two Steps Ahead: Protect Your Digital Life Tour
STOP. THINK. CONNECT. and other partners are hosting online safety events throughout the country to educate people and small business owners about adding layers of security to their everyday online activities. To learn more about the Two Steps Ahead: Protect Your Digital Life Tour, visit the Events page.
- Amazon Web Services
- Yubico: The YubiKey is used for a range of enterprise, open source and consumer applications, including remote access and VPN, online services, computer login and password management. The YubiKey follows the FIDO Alliance‘s U2F standards. For more information on U2F, visit the U2F – FIDO Universal 2nd Factor page.
- Brown University: Two-Step Verification video
- Sophos Naked Security Blog: All You Need to Know About 2FA
- Sophos Naked Security Blog: What is Two Factor Authentication?
- TeleSign Consumer Account Security Report: Read the latest research on two-factor authentication attitudes and behaviors
- Turn It On: See step-by-step instructions on how to add two-factor authentication to more than 100 online accounts
- USA Today Q&A: What is 2 Step Verification?
Read More At :
Start your 14-day Trial of Anti-Malware PRO!
Get Full Protection No credit card required money back guarantee
Start Your 14 Day Trial Today!